I have lot's of string with me today. What can we do with this
ball of string in my hand? (Let the children respond
Do you think we should tie up all the boys? (Let the
And what about the girls, should we tie them up too? (Let
the boys respond). Well, we won't do that now, so let's
rather make some colourful pictures.
Did you know that the Bible says that God not only looks after us and
protects us, but He even knows how many hairs are on you head!
Some of you have long hair just like these strings. Today we are
going to make pictures with the strings to remind us that God has
counted every hair on your head, and He even knows how many are left
if you pull out a few!
We will dip the strings in paint and lay it all coiled and twisted on
the inside of a sheet of paper that has been folded in half.
If we then rub the top of the sheet, we will make a print of the
string on both sides of the paper like this.
Now, lets help you make your own fancy string picture!
- Make sure each child's clothes are protected with a smock.
- Give each child a sheet of paper and a length of string.
- Help the children to fold their sheet of paper horizontally in
half and then open up the sheet again.
- The children must then dip their string into paint and lay it
out in a pattern on one side of their paper sheet.
- They must then fold their paper and lightly rub the paper to
tranfer the string pattern onto both sides of the sheet.
- Set the sheets aside and when they are dry, pin them around the
walls of the class.
- If time permits the children could repeat this activity on the
same sheet using a new string and a different paint colour.
- Wash the children's hands thoroughly and clean-up all paint spills
and utensils used.
You have made some very nice string paintings! Let's say thank-you
to God for knowing just how many hairs are on your head, and for
protecting you and keeping you safe.