Obeying and Trusting God
God tested Abraham's faith and found him willing. Are we also willing to
let God put a calling on our life?
For each young person:
A printed copy of the Study Sheet below.
Bibles or printed-out copies of Genesis 22:1-8.
Pens or pencils.
Click here for the Study Sheet
This was a great test for Abraham, but he came through with flying colours.
Abraham had an unshakable belief that God would keep His word, "In
Isaac shall your seed by called" (Genesis 21:12). He believed that
even if Isaac was put to death, God would bring him to life again
(Genesis 22:5 and Hebrews 11:17-19). Secondly, Abraham was totally
obedient and was willing to give Isaac to God.
This portion reveals the way Abraham and Isaac's obedience throws light on
God's allowing Jesus to die as our Saviour, and Jesus' willingness to
take our punishment and be our sacrificial lamb.
Stepping into Abraham's Shoes:
Imagine that you are Abraham in Genesis 22:1-18 and answer the questions as
you think he would have answered. Base your answers on both this
passage and your own imagination:
- How did you feel when God asked you to sacrifice Isaac?
- What made it possible for you to obey immediately?
- God had promised you that "through Isaac your descendants shall be named"
(V12), so what did you think would happen once you had offered him on
- What did you learn about God and about yourself as a result of this
Stepping in My Shoes:
Examine your life and write down your answers to the following questions:
- Has God ever asked you to give up something you loved very dearly?
- Did you obey at once? If not, why not?
- After you gave up things God asked you to, what has been your experience
- Has it affected only yourself or others too, and in what way?
Study Mark 8:34-38 and see how it relates to the story of Abraham and Isaac.
- What do you think Jesus means in v35?
- What can we lose and what can we gain?
- Has God put a call on your life?
- Did you answer "yes", are you wrestling with it, or did you ignore
- What do you plan to do about God's call?
Mark 8:34, "Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself,
and take up his cross, and follow Me."