Growing like Jesus
Growing as a Christian and pleasing God.
For each young person:
A printed copy of the Study Sheet below.
Bibles or printed out copies of the Scripture verses.
Pens or pencils.
Click here for the Study Sheet
2 Peter 3:18.
2 Peter 3:18, "But grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour
Knowing Jesus as our Saviour brings a change into our life and thoughts.
We become "New Creations" and our desire grows to please Jesus in all we do,
think and say. This study will help teens to grow Spiritually as
Christians and live a life that is pleasing to God.
Facts about Jesus:
Divide the group into teams of three to five, and get them to study the
Scriptures below and complete their Study Sheets. A representative from
each team should report back their findings. Possible answers are
included for each question below.
- List the ways that Colossians 2:6-7 tells you how to grow as a Christian
(note they are in the present tense as we continually grow as Christians) -
(As you took Jesus as Saviour, so deepen your relationship with Him and
strengthen your faith).
- Read Psalm 119:105, to find the first area where you can grow in your
Christian life - (By reading the Bible).
- Read 1 John 5:14-15, to find the second area where you can grow in your
Christian life - (By praying).
- Read Hebrews 10:25, to find the third area where you can grow in your
Christian life - (By attending church and having fellowship - meeting with
- Read Matthew 28:19, to find the fourth area where you can grow in your
Christian life - (By witnessing and spreading the Good News that Jesus
offers New Life).
- Suggest ways in which you can grow in your Christian life in these four
- Set one measurable goal for yourself in each of the four areas above.
It is important that people know what you believe and stand for, but you
need to rely on God to make you the sort of person He wants you to be.
Remember your walk as a Christian is more important than your talk.
Than means people must see you behaving as a Christian at all times!
The leader should discuss and summarise the findings and draw out conclusions
of what was learnt about growing as a Christian from the Bible, and how the
teens should to this. Close with a prayer of commitment and action by