To help teens develop their relationship with God.
Materials Needed for the Challenge:
For each team:
A bright shiny coin (choose one that will hold at least 10 drops of water).
A cup filled with water.
1 cm diameter wood dowel stubs 2 cm long.
An eye dropper (with a thin outlet nozzle).
A roll of paper towels.
Materials Needed for Each Team:
For each teen:
Copies of the "How can I love God More" worksheet below.
Pens or pencils.
Click here for "How can I love God More" worksheet
"I have loved you," says the Lord.
But you asked, "How have You loved
us?" (Malachi 1:2)
Like these drops of water from my eye-dropper, the love of God first fills
our hearts. And when this love begins to overflow, it will touch the
lives of those we meet, and will increase the love that we have for God.
We are going to have a challenge contest to see how many drops of water
can be dropped onto a small coin without any falling off. We
will see if we have a Drip-Drop champion in this group!
Divide the group into small teams of 3 to 5 teens and give each team a
coin and a set of the Challenge materials. Let every person
partially fill a eye-dropper with water and practice letting out
drops one at a time by gradually squeezing the rubber bulb.
For the competition, place a coin on a dowel stub and hold the
dropper vertically about 1 centimetre above the coin and count the
drops of water as you drop them onto the coin and watch as the
water builds up.
The surface tension eventually will break causing the water to spill
off the coin. How many drops did you count? Now dry the
coin and let someone else in your team have a turn. The
winner is the one who can achieve the greatest number of drops
before the water spills off the coin.
You can improve the number of drops that you can get on the coin with
practice and perseverance. In the same manner your love for
God will also grow.
How has God Loved Us?
If you asked God how He has loved us, some of His replies would be:
- Allowing Jesus to die on the cross in your place.
- Changing your life and making you His child.
- Watching over, guarding and blessing you daily.
How do You Love God?
And now it's your turn. How do you love God? And how can you love
Him more? I want you to form teams of three and then complete the
worksheet. Later, one person from each team can report back the
The following are model answers to the study sheet questions:
How can I Love God More?
God has shown His amazing love for us in Christ. What does this love
do for our (1) faith, (2) love, (3) pleasing God, (4) relationship with
God, (5) joy?
- His love creates faith in our hearts.
- His love for us grows our love for God and for others.
- His love helps us to say and do things that please God.
- His love helps us to develop a personal relationship with God.
- His love brings joy of the Holy Spirit into our lives.
Do we really love God as Deuteronomy 6:5 commands?
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul
and with all your strength."
How should we, (1) really love God (see Deuternomy 6:5), (2) show respect
for God, (3) attend church, (4) know God's presence, (5) give of
- By loving God with all of our heart and soul.
- By showing respect for God in the way we worship.
- Be regular in church attendance.
- Seek to know and experience God's presence.
- Give God the best and not our leftovers.
How can we love God better? We need to consider what Jeremiah 31:3,
"I have loved you with an everlasting love.
I have drawn you with
How can we deepen our relationship with God? by (1) God's Word, (2) our
weaknesses and failures, (3) The Holy Spirit, (4) our love, (5) our
- Read God's Word and have a daily quiet-time.
- Confess our weaknesses and failures to God and ask for daily strength.
- Seeking to be filled with the Holy Spirit and His power.
- Asking God to fan our love for Him into flames.
- Impact others by being a living Christian example.