A paper lantern craft to remind kids that they need to let their lights shine
before everyone, by showing that Jesus really lives in their hearts by the
way they talk and treat other people.
An oil lamp and matches.
For each child:
A copy of the Lantern pattern printed on A4 white paper or thin card.
A glue stick.
Click here for the Lantern Pattern
Making the Lantern:
Let the children colour in the parts before they cut them out and make the
lantern as follows:
- Lamp Handle - cut along lines 1 up to line 2, then cut down line 2.
The flaps will be glued into the top of the lamp at a later stage.
- Lamp Base - cut down the rest of line 1 and bend up flaps A. The
flaps will be glued into the bottom of the lamp to form the base of the lamp.
- Candle - cut along lines 3 and around the flame. Colour in the
flame and candle.
- Glue along the dotted line and roll the candle into a tube. Cut
along the lines between flaps C and bend these out at right angles so that
the candle will sit upright.
- Glue the flaps C (with the flaps A pointing upwards) to fix the candle
upright onto the base card. The base card will later be glued into
the bottom of the lamp tube.
- Lamp - fold along the dotted line E then cut all the slots 4.
Unfold the lamp and roll it into a tube and glue along flap D.
Push down the tube top and bottom to make the slots bow out along the
fold line so that it looks like a Chinese lantern.
- Glue Base flaps A into the bottom of the lamp so that the candle
shines in the middle of the lamp.
- Glue Handle flaps B into the top of the lamp and it is ready to be hung
Click here for the "Susan makes Good" story
I have this oil lamp which shows us that we need to shine brightly by doing
things that please Jesus (Show the lamp shining brightly
We are going to make a paper lantern craft to remind you that you need to
let your light shine before everyone, by showing that Jesus really lives
in your heart, by the way you talk, and by the way you treat other
In Matthew 5:16, Jesus told us to:
Matthew 5:16, "Let your light shine before men,
that they may see your
good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven."
If your behaviour get worse, then the lamp grows dimmer (Turn the lamp
wick down slowly
) until it nearly goes out. Now who wants to be
a lamp that is going out? Nobody? I'm sure you want to burn
brightly for Jesus. I think we should ask Jesus to change our
behaviour into what will please Him every day. And then we will shine,
shine and shine for Jesus!