Here's a bookmark card to encourage children to read the Bible.
A4 sheets of white or coloured paper.
An electric iron.
Pieces of scrap cloth about 400mm square.
For each child:
A copy of the Bookmark pattern below.
A piece of wax paper 12cm square.
Coloured crayons or Koki's.
Click here for the Bookmark Pattern
Making the Bookmark:
- Cut out the bookmark and fold along the dotted line.
- Use a craft knife to carefully cut out the candle window through both
sides of the folded paper.
- Fold a piece of wax paper in half and use the edge of a knife to
scrape flakes of various wax crayon colours onto one inside flap of the
- Use both dark and light colours to give a pleasing effect to the
candle and flame.
- Close the fold and lay the piece of wax paper between two cloths and
press with a hot iron to make the stained glass window.
- Trim the edges of the wax paper so it will fit inside the window of the
bookmark and anchor it with small pieces of Sellotape.
- Glue all around the edges of the bookmark including the fold, and press
together to complete the bookmark.
- The children can then decorate their bookmark and verse.
The verse from Isaiah 58:11 comes from a passage showing that we need to
serve God and love Him with all of our hearts. If we do, then the
promise is that the Lord will guide us always. The verses go on to
say that our lives will then be like a well-watered garden in the middle
of a dry and thirsty land.
I want my life to be like that, and I am sure that you do too! Put your
Bookmarks in your Bible and they will remind you to read a portion every
day. Let's pray now and ask Jesus to help us to please Him in all we
do and say. We will then be like the candle in our bookmark when we
hold it up to the light, and everybody will see the love of Jesus shining
out of our lives.
Back to Kids Activity Index
Back to Bibleland